Wednesday, September 16, 2009

They're Broccoli Burritos Baby!

I'm not an overly innovative cook. I am in awe of people who can open up the fridge, see leftover chicken, some hoisin sauce and half a head of lettuce and through the magic of culinary wizardry create something that not just edible, but fabulous. I'm a recipe girl. It is not like me to add things, substitute ingredients, or stray from the letter of the recipe even one tiny bit. I don't trust myself to make good decisions.

That said. On rare occasions. With a recipe I've made many times in the past. When I'm feeling wild and crazy. I make small changes. And last week my broccoli burritos were a major hit. Major. Originally adapted from a Cooking Light recipe entitled Baked Burritos, here's my lightened up, fiber-riffic version that pleased even the littlest food critics in my house.

Broccoli Burritos (I do not recommend calling them this if you picky eaters in your house)

1 Cup packaged broccoli slaw
1 Cup pre-shredded fat free cheddar cheese
1 Cup bottled salsa
1/2 Cup chopped red onion
1 Cup chopped green bell pepper
1/2 Cup minced fresh cilantro
2 Tablespoons lime juice
1 (16 oz.) can black beans, drained and rinsed
1 (2.25 oz.) can sliced black olives
8 (8 inch) fat-free flour tortillas
Cooking Spray

1. Preheat oven to 425*
2. Combine broccoli slaw and next 8 ingredients (through olives) in a large bowl; stir until well blended. Spread 2/3 cup of mixture down the center of each tortilla; roll up. Place the burritos on a baking sheet coated with cooking spray. Bake for 10-12 minutes until heated through.
Note* I have made the mixture ahead of time so all I had to do was fill the burritos and bake on a busy week night. The filling is also great over a bed of romaine with a few chips as a taco salad.

In case you were wondering. Made exactly like this, the filling has less than 3 Points for 2/3 Cup. Your choice of tortilla will determine the final Points total for each serving.

No comments:

Post a Comment