Thursday, April 29, 2010

Apples to Apples

So I came across a blog finally opened a forwarded email from my mother about a food blog today and was transported from my desk in TheMiddle to the Farmer's Market in Portland, and the messy kitchen of a mother with young children, and the coastline of the Northwest with its haunting, damp beauty and the wisdom of humble ingredients and simple processes.  Yes. A food blog.  But more about how we arrive at food and the journey that takes us there.  We find what we're meant to find and the people we keep certainly direct us along the way.

It's author is, charmingly, the wife of the first boy I ever had a crush on.  This boy, the worship worthy teen aged neighbor of 5 year old me.  The patient leaf raker who allowed the annoying little neighbor girl the thrill of jumping in the pile over and over again.  Probably getting paid to rake the few leaves that do fall in Boca Raton, in my fantasy he never once rolled his eyes when his mother reminded him of the novelty of falling leaves and what, to 5 year old me, seemed like a huge pile of fun just waiting to be jumped in.  I remember being awestruck the day my father (who historically has issues with teenagers and expensive machinery) let him back our monstrous station wagon down the driveway to make room for the compulsive washing of another car.  I was mesmerized by all 12 feet of that incredible road trip.  Huh...haven't thought about that For. Ever.  Amazing how it all comes right back.  But I digress...this is about her blog, not my ancient infatuation... 

Among other things, she writes about soup, "The beautiful thing is...you probably have all of the ingredients hanging around in the pantry right now. It's so easy to put together and yet, it's so...elegant."

That's how it is with so many things though, isn't it.  Food.  Parenting.  Partnering.  You have all the ingredients you need, just hanging around.  Your staples.  The amazing power of humble ingredients like patience, and experience, and humor, and confidence in yourself and your partner and your history.   So easy to put together when you have the right inspiration.  And so elegant.  Like I said, it's a food blog.  And a travel blog about the journey that gets us there.  And an advice column about where to look for inspiration.  

 "You have a blog and she has a blog.  You two should read each other."  My trip to La Pomme de Portland began in a very "apples to apples" sort of way.  Simple ingredients.  Yes, we find what we're meant to find and the people we keep certainly direct us along the way.  I'm directing you there.

1 comment:

  1. Wow...what a thoughtful post. Thank you. Such beautifully written words. I'm guessing your 5-year crush was on my sweetie. He's definitely a keeper so I'm sure I would have had a crush on him back then, too. I look forward to reading more of your blog.....carrie

    ReplyDelete