Monday, March 8, 2010

It Snot

It's not the threat of "  NO TV FOR THE REST OF THE AFTERNOON IF YOU DON'T SHUT YOUR MOUTHS FOR 3 MINUTES WHILE I TALK TO THE SATELLITE GUY ON THE PHONE!!!!!"   that makes me so mad...
It is the fact that they screamed through the entire phone call forcing me to lock myself in the bathroom so I could hear, and then I had to actually follow through on my threat even though I had more bills to pay and was planning to park them in front of NickJr while I finished.


It's not the kind of thing I am usually capable of doing, but I had a choice this afternoon to push through my task with children beating each other and screaming in the background OR to go another way.
It is the snot colored playdough that I whipped up to keep them occupied while I finished the bills and that kept them so entertained that I was able to knock out a blog post or two.


It's not that I'm opposed to the kind of full contact, Betty Crocker, homespun, whole grain, non-electronically stimulated, fully craft motivated, finger painted, glue-sticked, patience of Job type parenting that all my homeschooling, faith saving, husband at home having neighbor wives seem to be so good at!
It is the fact that sometimes even MarthaFrickinStewart needs a break!


Here's our diversion...and the recipe in case you need a few moments to yourself.

2 Cups water
2 Tablespoons vegetable oil
1 Cup salt
2 Tablespoons Cream of Tarter (This stuff makes the dough last months, so resist the urge to leave it out)
Food coloring
2 Cups flour

Combine water, oil, salt, cream of tarter and food coloring in a saucepan and heat until warm and dissolved.  Remove from heat and add flour.  Stir and then turn dough out onto a lightly floured surface and knead until smooth, adding small pinches of additional flour as needed to keep dough from sticking to your hands.  Store in an airtight container.

2 comments:

  1. ah. its always good to know that we ALL have these days. or parts of days. ALWAYS.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I use equal parts honey/peanut butter/powdered milk, then I mix in enough flour so it has a nice texture. That gives them edible dough. If they eat it...great. If not, I call in the dogs to clean-up. On a good day, I get free time, and free clean-up, plus I don't have to make a snack.

    ReplyDelete