Thursday, February 25, 2010

What Kind of Able Are You?

Are you uncomfortable?  Or are you trying to get comfortable?  Both states put you in a place where you are not feeling your best but it's really about the activity involved.  Are you fixed or moving?  Lost and crying or lost but searching? 

"I'm uncomfortable," she says to me.  But then she doesn't move an inch.  She stays exactly where she is and doesn't make a change!  Now we're just talking about a couch here people but seriously...that's an easy one!  What good is it to know you're not happy if you have no plan to get happy?  Wouldn't it be easier to just not know?   

We all just want to be comfortable...on our couch, in our skin, in our marriage, in our job, with our finances, in our faith.  Comfortable.  Simple.

"I'm not comfortable yet, but I'm working on it," I say to myself about quite a few things in my life these days.  I stand up in front of a little cooking club every week and talk about the Point of everything and I'm still struggling with my relationship to food.  I'm liable to get myself in trouble for this one, but I'm struggling with women lately and how much work they are, but I haven't given up on them.  Spiritually, I'm struggling with a Practice that feels so much like practice that I'm wondering when the real game starts.  Uncomfortable, but active.  The struggle at least moves me somewhere.  That's what determines what kind of "able" I am.

So what are you?  Are you uncomfortable or are you getting comfortable?  Are you going to stay how you are or will you make a change?

1 comment: